[Prev][Next][Index]

LONGITUDINAL STABILITY OF FLEXIFOIL?

>WHY THE FLEXIFOIL CAN MAINTAIN THE LONGITUDINAL STABILITY?

As I understand it, it is due to the combination of two effects:

1) Most of the lift is produced very close to the leading edge, thus
producing maximum lift, but with minimum leverage about the spar.

2) The portion towards the read of the foil is shaped as a *reverse*
aerofoil, producing a lesser downwards force, but with greater leverage,
such that the two twisting forces equal out.

>I saw someone mentioned the "lightweight" spar. Does it mean the
>weight or the flexibility?
Both.  It is much lighter, much more flexible, much more expensive
and much easier to break.

>In which situation we should use the lightweight spar?
1) Low or zero wind
2) I use mine on top of my 6x10' stack because it launches easily,
pulling the rest of the stack with it.

Andrew

Please send Email to andrew@tug.com NOT to this account (which is a *LONG*
way from home).