[Prev][Next][Index]

Cambered leading edges

I'm very curious about cambered leading edges--what the theory behind them
is, what exactly they're supposed to do to flight characteristics (stability?
high wind capability?  low wind capability?  good looks?), how designers
figure out where to place the camber (all experimentation or is there
some theory that dictates where the best position is?) how much of an angle
to use, etc., etc.

One of my most recent kites started out as a Bantam (3/4 Phantom).  I
made the pattern by measuring my Phantom and multiplying the various bits
by .75.  I made two changes, one of which was to increase the aspect
ratio (it's quite wide for its height, and, in fact, the bottom of the
keel extends lower than the wingtips).  The other change was to put an
angle on the leading edge at the outside edge of the 4th panel from the
center (ie, the angle occurs along the leading edge where the final panel
begins).  Despite being framed quite heavily (AFC 2200 all around), the kite
seems to fly in quite low wind--I have no trouble running 360s with it, and
in winds light enough for 360s, I almost always fly full-sized kites).
To be honest, though, I don't know how much of this is due to the
base design (Bantam, which I've never flown, so have no basis for comparison)
and how much is due to my changes.  Naturally, I'm a little curious...;-)

So does anyone out there have thoughts on the matter?  Perhaps a book
they could point me to?  Unfounded opinions that are still worth sharing?

Jeff

Return to Kite Fliers's Site