[Prev][Next][Index]

How to determine the pull of a kite

I asked:
-------
Is there a (simple or simplified) formula that gives the relationship
between kite area, angle and wind velocity (and maybe other factors that
I'm missing).

Andrew Beattie answered:
------------------------
Some missing factors that come to mind:
Sail Drag
Bridle Drag
Line Drag
Keel Drag
Wing-tip-vorex drag
Aspect ratio
Surface texture
Billow
Aerofoil lift coeficient
Reefing effects
Flying line elasticity
Movement of the anchor point
Apparent wind (and thus, line length at launch)
Luffing
Stalling
Venting
Wind turbulence
Weight
Reynold's number
--------------------

It looks that you've missed some factors that come to my mind:

Coriolis force due to earth rotation
Planet attraction from the x billion planets in our galaxy
  (not to speak of other galaxies)
Perturbations generated by lost satellites or kiter inexpectedly sneezing

... and a few other that don't come to mind, so I won't quote them now ...

Nevertheless, I found your comments very constructive and encouraging, and
I decided to incorporate them at ounce in a new theoretical aerodynamic model
that I'm going to send to NASA. Of course, I won't forget to give you due credit
for all your helpful remarks ...

Jean-Christophe Engel

PS: Oh yes, I forgot: %-^

Return to Kite Fliers's Site