[Prev][Next][Index]

Beginner Ripstop sewing question

Greg Padden (dh967@cleveland.Freenet.Edu) wrote:

: I've never used ripstip nylon for kites before and am wondering what
: the pitfals and tricks to sewing using this material.  Do I need special
: needles, special sewing mackines, etc...

(To add to Jeff's response . . .)

Ripstop is so thin that getting good tension can take a bit of
experimentation (two layers just doesn't have much thickness so
there's almost no space for the stitch between layers).  Learn to
adjust both top and bobbin tension.

It's helpful to tack layers together before sewing.  Some methods:
hot tacker (low wattage, tiny point special soldering iron that
fuses the layers together), sewing pins (usually in seam allowance
only), scotch tape (don't sew over it), spray adhesives.

If cut edges will be exposed, using a hot knife (soldering iron or
woodburning tool, on glass is best or masonite).  If the edges will
be inside rolled/folded seams, some people cold cut.

Ripstop dulls needles fairly quickly so if the stitch tension gets
worse, try changing the needle.

Have fun :-)

Anne

 *  Anne Rock                  |    Oh Lord, let the words I speak today   *
 *  rock@netcom.com            |    be sweet, for tomorrow I may have to   *
 *  Berkeley, CA               |    eat them.                              *
 *                             |              - sign in a Honduran cafe    *