[Prev][Next][Index]

Flexifoil launching

In a rec.kites article James Kirk. (it1jk@dmu.ac.uk) states:
> I've got two Super-10 Flexifoils. I've had them for some time, but
> never have I been able to launch them on my own.
>
> I've tried putting them on top of a massive haystack, then pulling
> them (which did actually work once), tried making a ramp out of my
>  kite bag - allsorts, but I just can't do it. Any suggestions?

One method which seems to work involves the use of two canes (the sort
used for staking plants when gardening). Mine are plastic coated metal,
about 3' long and have tape on them to make them conspicuous.

1. Place the canes about three-quarters of the width of the Flexifoil
   leading edge apart, and at an angle of about 45 degrees.

2. Arrange the kites so that the kite at the top of the stack lies
   on the ground at the bottom of the cane "ramp".

3. Pull gently on the lines so that the top kite slides slowly and
   evenly up the ramp.

As the top kite slides up the ramp the wind will get underneath it, it
will inflate and start to lift.  The lift from the top kite will get
the second and any subsequent kites flying.

This technique seems to work well even in quite low winds.

> Also, I've bust the centre spar on one of them, does anyone know
> anywhere in the UK preferably that does them, and what sort of price
> are we looking at?

Any kite shop should be able to get them for you, see the address FAQ.
I've no idea how much though, suffice to say that an Ultralite spar
for a 10 footer is just under GBP70 :-(

Chris Willis
--
Chris Willis (ye79@uk.co.gec-mrc) GEC-Marconi Research Centre, Essex UK