[Prev][Next][Index]

LONGITUDINAL STABILITY OF FLEXIFOIL?

In article <1993May28.062334.921@plx.com> gaffer@plx.com (Andrew Beattie) writes:
>From: gaffer@plx.com (Andrew Beattie)
>Newsgroups: rec.kites
>Subject: Re: LONGITUDINAL STABILITY OF FLEXIFOIL?
>Date: 28 May 93 06:23:34 GMT
>Sender: usenet@plx.com (Usenet Admin)

>>WHY THE FLEXIFOIL CAN MAINTAIN THE LONGITUDINAL STABILITY?

>As I understand it, it is due to the combination of two effects:

>1) Most of the lift is produced very close to the leading edge, thus
>producing maximum lift, but with minimum leverage about the spar.

>2) The portion towards the read of the foil is shaped as a *reverse*
>aerofoil, producing a lesser downwards force, but with greater leverage,
>such that the two twisting forces equal out.

This is an excellant consise answer to your question on pitch stability!
You should be able to find anymore info you require by looking for 'reflex
aerofoils' in books on aerodynamics.  (When I was making my fist flexi clone
I searched the libraries and found that the reflex aerofoil has been know
about for ages!)

Some model airplane programs on wing design will draw them for you too.

Andy Tate   ces1at@surrey.ac.uk

Return to Kite Fliers's Site