[Prev][Next][Index]

4.5 Kite Precision

"KITE Precision" Your Comprehensive Guide For Flying
Controllable Kites authored by Ron Reich. The book is 184
pages, with 153 photos, and 121 diagrams. A good instruction
book for Individuals and Teams at the Beginner, Intermediate
and Advanced levels. The main presentation is illustrated
with the Griffin delta kite, separated dedicated sections
are presented for the Flexifoil Kite, and the Revolution
Kite. The book also includes  3 completely choreographed
routines. 1 each  for individuals, pairs, and 4 person
teams. Unique stunts for 3 person teams are also diagramed.

ISBN 0-9636010-2-8  $14.95 US Softcover
Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 93-61552
Tutor Text, Ramona USA

Table of Contents:
------------------

   1. Setting Up To Fly
      - Delta Kite Parts

   2. Posture

   3. Safety

   4. Straight Line Flight
      - Test For Equal Lenght Fly Line
      - Wind Window

   5. Basic Launching and Landing

   6. The 4 Fundamental Turns

   7. Speed Control

   8. Leading Edge Launch
      - Leading Edge Landing

   9. Tip Stand
      - Walking The Kite
      - Tip Drag

   10. Nose Down Launch
      - Turtle Launch

   11. Wrapped Flip Launch
      -Pasting

   12. Flying The Shadow

   13. Dog-Stake Flying

   14. Multiple Kite Control
      - 2 kites
      - 3 kites
      - 5 kites

   15. Selecting A Kite

   16. Flexifoil
      - The Flexi-Flip
      - The Flexi-Float

   17. Revolution
      - Side Slide
      - Slow Motion Revolution
      - 3-D FLying

   18. Team Flying Basics
      - Preparatory Command
      - Execution Command
      - Basic Turns
      - Box Formation
      - Diamond Formation
      - Star Burst
      - Flying The Space

   19. Team Warm-Up
      - Hazards to Your Kite and Strings

   20. Building a routine

   21. Classes and Degree of Difficulty for Teams Stunts
      - Diagonal Thread
      - T-Bone
      - Weave
      - Arrowhead
      - Compound Wrap
      - Sequential Fly-around
      - Time Clock

   22. Couples

   23. How To Tie Birdle and Train Lines

   24. Setting Up New Lines

   25. Troubleshooting

   26. Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah (Individual Routine)

   27. Chariots Of Fire (Pairs Routine)

   28. 3-Person Team (Stunts)
      - Fountain
      - Boomerang
      - Razzle Dazzle
      - Robin Hood

   29. The Greatest Love Of All (Team routine)

   Glossary

Review by Simo Salanne, January 1994:

1st part (?) of the long awaited "bible" is here! This is
definitely the most valuable guide to a beginning sport kite
flyer. I believe there are not many fliers in the whole
world, who could not learn more from this excellent book.
E.g. the systematic classification and degree of difficulty
are topics, which are unique to this book.

The book has a lot of photographs and diagrams, which
illustrate the text and makes understanding easier. Ron's
uncomplicated style of writing is a pleasure to read.

Highly recommended!

The book does not contain any stunt kite plans, it's devoted
to flying.

Review by Marty Sasaki, March 1994

First the disclaimer: I consider Ron a friend (he considers me a
friend, we've conversed both in person and via email, but I haven't
seen him naked, so that's 4 kite purity points ;-). He has helped me
and my team on numerous occasions.

The short review: Buy the book. It is full of solid descriptions and
good photographs and drawings. When you buy it, tell them that I sent
you.

The long(er) review:

The book begins with detailed descriptions of setting up a kite,
posture, safety, and basic flying. The description of the different
types of turns and speed control then follow. In my opinion, these two
chapters are worth the price of the book.

There are sections that describe in detail several tricks and utility
moves, including leading edge and nose down launches. Sections on
dog-stake flying and multiple kite flying are also clear and easy to
understand.

There are sections that talk about the Flexifoil and Revolution kites.

I especially like the team flying sections and the discussion of some
of the stunts. One part titled, "Flying the Space", will be required
reading for Storm Front members.

There are 3 complete ballet routines (an individual, a pairs, and a
4-person team).

The many photographs and drawings really help with showing how things
are done. The text is clear and would be useful even without the
graphics.

There are a few things missing: I would have liked to see a discussion
about the speed of doing moves, i.e. snapping turns can be radically
different than easing turns. The excellent discussion about geometry
and team flying that rec.kites readers saw is missing from the book.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in flying dual line
delta stunt kites. It will open the eyes of novices. More experienced
flyers will benefit from the philosophy and way of thinking about
flying.

Return to Kite Fliers's Site