[Prev][Next][Index]

Applique with Ripstop?

I've appliqued ripstop successfully - I think you have
to be patient and careful carrying the material between
your cutting-out/assembling area and your sewing machine.

I can't quite afford to use dry mount sprays yet so I use good
old-fashioned sellotape which can be removed after the
applique. Funnily enough cheap substitutes are better in this
respect 'cos they tend to be less adhesive and are easier to get
off afterwards.

The only problem here is that this means that only the
boundary of the applique pieceis attached to the main cloth
which can lead to bubbling & uneven work- you have to be
careful when moving the cloth under the needle. I would prefer
dry mount 'cos it would tack down the whole surface thus
eliminating the problem.

In terms of a Rokkaku I made one earlier this year and the
problem for me was the sheer bulk of cloth that had to be
manoeuvre under the arm of the machine rather than the
applique itself.

Good luck!!

Clive D-T

Return to Kite Fliers's Site