[Prev][Next][Index]

Team challenge

     This team compulsory was designed by Mike and Sheri McFadden
and first presented at the 1988 San Francisco tournament.  It was
claimed  to  be impossible by some teams and  very  hazardous  by
others.   One  team even threatened to sue the promoter if any of
their team members got hurt while trying to perform it.   If  not
properly  analyzed and executed there is indeed a definite hazard
of  flyers being cut by the flylines of one of the other  flyers.
Please proceed with caution.  I can tell you that my team was the
last  to fly it at the competition and we scored a 9.7 out  of  a
possible 10.  In my approach to the execution there was never any
hazard to any of the flyers.  Not even close to being a hazard as
a  matter of fact.   I have presented some ideas in my posting of
geometry that should be applied to the analysis of this figure.
     Instructions:   All  kites shall remain on their  respective
paths.   i.e. kite A will always be on the inside path and kite D
will  always be on the outside path.   All turns are unison  left
executed   simultaneously.     The  entrance  and  exit  are   on
superimposed vertical lines.
     I hope you can decipher any distortions in the asci diagram.

                     ARROW HEAD TEAM COMPULSORY

                            A   B   C   D
                      OUT   |   |   |   |  IN
            /\              |   |   |   |        \/
            UP              /\  /\  /\  /\      DOWN
                          /   /\  /\  /\   \
                        /   /   /\  /\   \   \
                      /   /   /   /\   \   \   \
                 A  /B  /C  /D  /    \  A\  B\  C\  D
     UNI LEFT    O/  O/  O/  O/        \O  \O  \O  \O   UNI LEFT
                   \   \   \   \     /   /   /   /
                     \   \   \   \ /   /   /   /
                       \   \   \  OA /   /   /
                         \   \   \ /   /   /