[Next][Index]

The 'no metal' bridle?

In article <C51AG3.6B9@cscns.com> compass@cscns.com (Rueben and spiff) writes:
>I was reading the comments about construction quality, and this comment
>caught my eye.  As I am new to the stunt kite arena, and only know what
>I see, could someone explain how this 'no metal' attachement works.  Can
>it (as I would suspect) be done to kites not desinged this way?

OK, I'll bite.  Here goes for an ASCII lark's head:

Bridle----\

       /--|--\   /---\ /---\
       |  |  |   |   | |   |
       \-----|-------|-|------\
          |  |   |   | |   |   >===KNOT
       /-----|-------|-|------/
       |  |  |   |   | |   |
       \--|--/   \---------/
          |          | |
Bridle----/          | |
                    KNOT

                      \---flying line---<Handle

There are three bits of string here.  The bridle line, the small loop
and the flying line.

First, mark your line in the middle of the larks-head on the existing
bridle ring.  You will want to be able to set it exactly as before.  Next,
remove the ring.  The ring is replaced with a loop, simply take a length
of strong line (not sprctra!), double it over and tie and overhand knot
in it.  Tie this in a larks-head onto the bridle line with the middle of
the loop in the middle of the larks-head (that is, so that the length of
loop to the overhand knot is the same on both sides).

Now, make a lark's head in the loop in the end of your flying line and
pass it over the overhand knot on the loop.  When pulled tight, the lark's
head won't slip over the knot.  (If you doubt this, you can use two
figure-of-eight knots rather than a single ovenhand knot to make the loop,
but I don't bother).

To undo, simply loosen the lark's head in the flying line from the small
loop.

I confess that this description is slightly different from what I use. I
don't remove the ring from my kites, I simply put the small loop through
the ring, rather than risk messing with the bridle point, but you were
asking for "no metal".  I would also be concerned that the bridle may
slip.

Andrew

Return to Kite Fliers's Site